Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am a 43 year old male who is having trouble losing weight.

Customer Question

I am a 43 year old male who is having trouble losing weight. I am 6'4" and 230 pounds. I have reduced caloric intake and consumption of alcohol. I do about 40 mins to an hour of cardio work 4-5 times per week. I also use a kettle bell to do resistance training 3-4 times per week.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet. I currently use zero medications as generally I am healthy and do not have any chronic pain issues.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I have no allergies to medication as I know.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing at all really
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now from what you are describing you are certainly doing everything right in order to reduce weight as you are exercising, you have reduce caloric intake and reduced alcohol intake as well and if you are still unable to reduce your weight then you should get evaluated for metabolic issues which may be causing a problem in reducing weight. The first thing to look into is the thyroid gland. An underactive thyroid gland can cause difficulty in losing weight, this can be checked for with the help of a simple blood test known as thyroid function test. If that is normal then having your adrenals looked into would be useful as well. Overactive adrenal glands can also cause difficulty in losing weight and a simple 24 hour urinary cortisol level would be diagnostic.

Now if your metabolic and endocrinological profiles are normal, then it is likely to a be genetic tendency and in that case you may need weight loss medications to help reach your target weight such as qysmia, phenteramine. Or you could try cutting back even further in your caloric intake and increasing the amount of exercise. ALter your diet to include more proteins in your diet and reduce your carbohydrates even further.

But do have the thyroid looked into first.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 days ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any