Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Just after some advice, during ivf treatment does the

Just after some advice , during ivf treatment does the endometrial lining typically continue to thicken during the week leading up to Embryo transfer! Is it on average about 1mm per day ? Recently had a cycle and my lining was 12 mm thick 8 days prior to transfer . I was on cyclacur and progesterone leading up to the transfer and afterwards as well . I wasn't scanned again before the transfer and I'm concerned the lining was too thick on day of transfer for implantation .

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well you are correct the endometrial lining does continue to thicken until the day of transfer because of the medications that you are on however it is usually not 1 mm per day as that would cause the lining to become too thick. Usually the thickening is around 0.5 mm per day at best (usually it is less than that), in some cases yes it can reach a rate of 1 mm per day. Even if the lining came to be around 16 mm (0.5 mm per day rate) even then implantation should be successful. The problem lies with a too thin lining, anything less than 6-7 mm will make implantation of the embryo very difficult. Yes there are studies which show that a lining thicker than 16 mm MAY cause issues but most of the studies have indicated that the lining should not be too thin, pregnancies can be successful even with thicker lining and the embryo does take hold in linings thicker than 16 mm in many cases.

Usually they wont scan you before implantation as long as your previous scan showed a lining which was greater than 7 mm, because most fertility specialists are more concerned with a thin lining and not a thick one. Studies have indicated that too thick lining is not as big of a factor in implantation failure when compared to a too thin lining.

So in short, the endometrial thickening rate is usually not 1 mm per day, it is usually lower than that and various factors play into the growth rate and secondly given your number of 8 mm 8 days before transfer, i dont believe that the lining would have been too thick for implantation failure to occur.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the reply . I think you read my question wrong , my lining was 12.3 mm at 8 days prior to implantation , not 8 mm . So given that it could well have been over 16 mm at time of transfer , correct ?

Sorry i calculated correctly, at 16 mm after 8 days of 0.5 mm per day but i think i mentioned it incorrectly, i meant to say 12 mm after 8 days instead of 8 mm after 8days.

That is why i said that if it is at 16 mm after 8 days, even then implantation should be successful.

The last line was a typo, i meant to say 12 mm 8 days before transfer, the rest of my answer is based on this fact (NOT 8 mm 8 days before transfer)

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The ivf clinic I went to though told me in my consultation that anything over 14mm would be too thick as far as they were concerned . So I do believe that they have not followed their own correct guidelines , don't you ?

That is dependent on IF you achieved a growth rate of 0.5 mm per day, as i said it is AT BEST around 0.5 mm per day but it is usually less than that. So at this point in time we are speculating on what the thickness of your endometrium was at the time of embryo transfer. BUT if the growth rate was at 0.5 mm per day and your lining was at 16 mm at the time of transfer, then yes in that case the IVF clinic did not follow their own guidelines. However it would be difficult to determine if your endometrium was at 16 mm or not.

If you transfer fails, then this COULD be a factor but again embryo transfer can fail because of a number of reasons and not just endometrial thickness.

But if we are considering the guidelines which your clinic follows then IF the lining was at 16 mm then yes they did not follow their own guidelines in that case.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you . The clinic says they have recorded images of my uterus taken at the time of transfer . They are being reluctant at sending them to me , as I want to get a second opinion as to what the thickness was . Should the clinic be obliged to send them to me as I have asked ?

They should give you the images if you request for them, but rather than the images ask them for a video of the ultrasound. Also even on a video it is difficult to measure the thickness of the lining as the thickness is measures exactly with the help of a tool present in the ultrasound machine. Measuring lining on a video is more difficult because of a number of factors. But the clinic should give you the images if you request them.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I just ask if you are based in the UK?

No but i do come to the UK for LOCUM's on a regular basis, i split my time between UAE and UK.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats perfect, thank you for your replies. Have a good day

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated