Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just have a general health question. I'm a 39 year old

Customer Question

Hello, I just have a general health question. I'm a 39 year old male and in good health. I've drank 35 to 40 beers a week for about 18 years now. I don't drink everyday, usually taking 2 to 3 days off a week. I never thought that was too much but have recently seen that I was well over the recommended guidelines. My question is, should I have a liver function test done in the near future?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No, I haven't seen a doctor recently. The last one I went to, I told him how many drinks I had a week and he didn't say anything about it. The only meds I take are a zantac here and there.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No medications daily and no known allergies.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It would be appropriate to have a liver profile done, but if you are generally feeling well and are not having any symptoms it does not need to be done immediately. If you are going to decrease your alcohol intake (and you read correctly that you should), then it would be reasonable to check the liver profile after you have been drinking the lesser amount for a couple months.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 days ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.