Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I am a male 66 yrs. I have hypertension and Diabetes 2 which

I am a male 66 yrs. I have hypertension and Diabetes 2 which are under control. I have been taking Mesulid 100mg twicwe a day for the last six weeks for knee and back pain. My Creatinine level has shot up from 1.23 to 1.97. BUN is 26. What do you think
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries. Just preliminary arthritis.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes. I had percutineous stone surgery in my left kidney for an obstructive stone 17mm size. Pre op creatinine was 1.3. Post op 1.2. I take Tagipmet 50/1000 for diabetes once a day and Cotelson 12.5 once a day for hypertension. My yesterdays BP was 130/80 and HBA1C 6.6. I have had

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I am not interested in a free trial at the moment. I have made the USD 5 payment. Could you please respond now?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
At the moment I need a general answer. If I am interested I may deposit the uSD 50 and talk to you.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Nothing more to add

Nimesulide is a nephrotoxic drug if used for long duration.

As your creatinine has increased while taking nimesulide I would advise you to stop taking it and explore alternative analgesics like tramadol and paracetamol.

If creatinine was 1.2 after surgery your kidney issue is not likely to be responsible for your raised creatinine.

You need to monitor your creatinine levels as creatinine levels may improve after stopping nimesulide.

Feel free to ask any follow-up question.

Do take a moment to honor my time by rating my answer.

You can continue the conversation even after you have rated.

Please ignore the automated email messages from the website.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I would give an A for the answer.

Thanks.

You need to click on 5 stars at the top of the page for your ratings to be registered.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Do you think the rise in creatinine level is reversible? What is the relationship between creatinine and BUN? The BUN does not seem to be very high.I have stopped taking nimesulide and would go for an other check in a couple of weeks.

This seems like an acute renal injury due to nimesulide use and acute renal injuries may reverse.

Normal ratio of BUN to creatinine is 10 to 1 to 20 to 1.Your ratio is within normal limits.