Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

I am a smoker and when I drink I smoke more. The drinking is

I am a smoker and when I drink I smoke more. The drinking is not the issue when I wake up i can't take a full breath. I have gone for an asthma test and it was negative. But one of my friends gave me his spare inhaler and it helps. I take a few short puffs and hold and release and cough a bit and within 30 min I can breathe a full breath
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: The minor cough has been there for a few years but the morning hard to breathe has only been a year maybe less. It's not consistent every time I drink heavy but it is starting to worry me.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm on birth control and I am also a social drug user. Pot or coke.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What is taking so long
Hi there
I am Dr Scott
Have you seen a doctor about this?
Is it mostly in the morning? Do you cough anything up?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I cough up phlegm it's usually grey or black in the morning that's every day. I have not gone to my family doctor because I thought it was asthma but they did the test and there was no difference in my breathing. But when I can't breath I don't cough anything up cuz I don't have the lung power to get it out. It feels like my lungs are too full of phlegm. That's why I think I can't get a full gulp of air. It's only in the past year this had been going on. It's not every morning but in a week I go thru it once at least
Do you have acid reflux?
it's mostly in the morning?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have aside reflux. But I chalk that up to the users and my drinking. And it's only in the morning. Before I got my friends inhaler it would last for 2 hours. Of barely breathing coughing after I got his inhaler it's a half hour and 4 puffs fixes it

Have you tried antiacids?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
In the morning when I'm having this problem? No I don't have aside reflux during the episode so I have never tried it

No you would have to take it at night before you lay down to control the acid overnight

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It's not aside reflux. It's more I can't breath. Like my lungs are full of water or phlegm. Asid reflux makes my mouth water and yes it makes breathing hard. But in the morning it's a different feeling it's no mouth watering more something or someone on my chest sitting there

You need a chest x-ray.

Your doctor will also have to give you a prescription inhaler.

At night, you aspirate or inhale the acid reflux when you lay down which causes your symptoms in the morning.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you I have taken a screen shot of your diagnosis. Let's see If it's right. It sounds right

Does that make sense?

You can try an antacid at night, however, you might need a stronger prescription medication to help control your symptoms.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It makes a bit of sense I can't see why asid reflux would make it hard to breathe but I'll ask and see what happens

Because the acid in your stomach irritates the airways