Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a back back to begin with because of herniated disks

Customer Question

I have a back back to begin with because of herniated disks here n there starting from my neck(c2) to my tail bone. But yesterday while I work, all the sudden I got this deep, excruciating pain on my right side in between my shoulder blade to where any bodily functions that accure including swallowing n breathing hurts really bad to where it stops me in my tracts of whatever I may be doing. I have never experienced this amount of pain with the medical condition I already have. So I'm scared and concerned if it is anything that could be major? And if I need emergency attention ASAP?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: This particular pain experience started yesterday while at work but the start of my herniated disks conditions started Nov 2015 with only c2-c5 but I can feel more has accured all the way to just above my tail bone
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: It hurts and uncomfortable to stand up straight, I have to take my time doing so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have also tried to soak in a hot bath for 30mins with fresh mint essent salt and it seemed to calm the pain down to a 7 from a 10(frm scale 1-10)while soaking but once I got out, the pain was back to a 10 in no time.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Considering your history and the symptoms you have described it is most likely a pinched nerve which is causing an excruciating pain along with spasm of the muscle supplied by nerve. It is common in people with herniated disc as sudden change in posture can cause further disc movement and compression on nerve. I would recommend you to go to urgent care for thorough examination and since you have severe pain you can get IV painkillers for relief of symptoms. An MRI may be required to see the exact status of the spine. You can take ibuprofen or neurofen tablet at home meanwhile for pain control.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of this screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.