Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have a swollen gland on my neck. Been to an ENT dr. Looked

Customer Question

I have a swollen gland on my neck. Been to an ENT dr. Looked down my throat and said nothing he could see. Put me on prednisone. Finished meds and still there? What kind of dr. should I see now. Been to my family dr. A already also.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Take 2 High blood pressure meds. Allergic to cipro, fosomax
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just got over bout of shingles and contact dermatitis in Nov. and Dec.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Swollen lymph nodes/glands usually occur in response to an infection(bacterial/viral) or inflammation(Allergic,otherwise) in the area it drains.The swelling may persist for some weeks after the episode is over.It would be prudent to see a physician who can examine you and investigate you as per the clinical findings to reach the root cause of the swelling.The neck has a large number of lymph nodes,they would drain the head,mouth,gums,throat and neck as also the scalp and skin.Any lesion of dermatitis or shingles in the area ,apart from throat inflammation or allergy could cause this.Once the cause is determined,precise therapy will resolve the swelling of the gland.