Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Second opinion] My stomach has been bothering me since

Customer Question

Second opinion] My stomach has been bothering me since Saturday. I woke up with a clicking in my throat, a lump in my throat, and too much saliva. I had a panic attack on Sunday, and now my stomach keeps growling and i keep feeling like i have to vomit or burp. I've been prescribed 10mg of buspar and 10mg of dicyclomine. But my stomach will involuntarily expand and i would end up feeling like i have to burp or vomit.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From your description it is clear that you may have developed GERD or acid reflux. This is a condition in which there is a weakened lower oesophageal sphincter which can lead to teh acid coming back up into the oesophagus and teh mouth. This would lead to burning in the chest, stomach as well as the lump in the throat and excessive salivation. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and if needed a endoscopy can be done to determine if the problem is severe. But usually simple measures can help in improving the symptoms,

• Elevating the head of teh bed at night by 30 degrees
  • Eating your last meal 2-3 hours before bed time
  • Cutting back on fried and fatty foods
  • Avoid caffeine
  • Avoid alcohol
  • Quit smoking if you smoke
  • USe OTC prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily to begin with and if needed increase the dose later on
  • Use OTC probiotics like culturelle which would also be helpful

If these measures dont help in iomproving your symptoms then you should contact your doctor for further evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/