Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had bowel resection on Nov. 2 2016 and still can't control

Customer Question

I had bowel resection on Nov. 2 2016 and still can't control my bowel movements. How long will this last.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Doctor for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: OK
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes my sergeon say's it might take a year, is this right.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've got high blood pressure, taking medication for it
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified, licensed and certified in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy. I have advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine.

Thank you for the question, and giving me the opportunity to help you.

I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you momentarily with your reply. It does occasionally take a short while for the responses to load. I thank you for your patience with our system.

I'm so sorry for your experience! Loss of bowel control can be such a frustrating situation - and can cause stress in and of it's own right. To address your direct question first, we do see this readjustment process, in some patients, lasting up to a year. Most of the time, the surgery heals within 2-3 months, and bowels readjust with return to more normal stooling patterns sooner than a year, more like 4-6 months ... but these changes also depend heavily on your diet. Can you tell me about the foods you've been eating since the surgery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I eat bread bananas, peanut butter, all meat, potatoes, and some sweets

excellent - all foods which are relatively straight forward for your digestion, and nutritious? That is wise - Have they discussed the gradual addition of high fiber foods with you? Did they tell you to avoid high fiber foods?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
NO

If you'd like, that may be a wise option for you to consider, next, of course - provided you have the approval of your surgeon. There are meals and recommendations for high fiber foods on www.choosemyplate.gov that are fantastic. I particularly recommend the 10-tip series, found here: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/ten-tips-choose-myplate