Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

What can I do about a dislocated rib from coughing? Have had

Customer Question

What can I do about a dislocated rib from coughing? Have had bronchitis since Saturday, taking antibiotics and prednisone, breathing treatments with my nebulizer, but the cough is so persistent it feels like I have a broken rib on my right side.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Dealing with the cough since Friday night. Hot and cold, not sure if I've had a fever, but aching all over my body. The sharp pain is in the rib area on my right side, that just started yesterday. Shortness of breath. Fatigue.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have COPD and congestive heart failure. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

As long as the rib is not hurting your lung tissue, it will heal by itself over 6 to 10 week period. Rib X-rays are recommended to confirm any displacement of the rib. Excessive cough can be controlled by codeine based cough suppressant besides your current treatment. Hydrocodone also can be use which also helps with pain short term. Given the addictive nature of these medications, short term use is justified to control the severity of symptoms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/