Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have been sick for awhile now. I was diagnosed last week

Customer Question

Hello. I have been sick for awhile now. I was diagnosed last week with sinus infection and bronchitis but for months I have been off and on been getting sore throat, swollen glands, fever, chills, lack of appetite, heart flutters, rash on chest and stomach, body aches, light headed, dizzy,shortness of breath,extreme fatigue, the clinic doctor who diagnosed my infections said my jugular vein is quite imflamed so i am seeing family doctor today. I had mono at the age of 13 and I am wondering if these symptoms are signs of epstein barr possibly? I am 51 now and I notice that 2 days before my period I always seem to get a sore throat and body aches and I feel like I am getting a virus and it usually passes in couple of days. In November I was sick for two weeks and then I got this latest one Dec 21st day before my period and have been struggling ever since. That's my story. Sick of feeling so crappy and lifeless.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: I seem to get a fever off and on, some days yes others I am okay.and the most severe symptoms I have had for about three weeks but like I said I almost always feel like I am getting a bug just before my period
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I also hane ulcerative colitis and have had that for years as well and my doctor does know that. I am also having issues with that too, constipation, mucous, bleeding abdominal pain
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What did your blood tests show?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
well I have low iron but will be getting more blood tests today. what tests should I ask for?

Your symptoms are suggestive of immune issue. An autoimmune panel would be good to start with. Since you have low iron, an anemia panel also would be important as following:

1) Complete blood count (CBC)

2) Peripheral blood film

3) Vitamin B-12

4) Folate

5) Reticulocyte count

6) LDH

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone

8) Serum creatinine and estimated glomerular filtration rate

9) Serum ferritin

10) Serum iron

11) Total iron-binding capacity.

I feel you may have autoimmune disease especially with the history of ulcerative colitis. You may also get following:

1) Obtain cultures for bacteria, mycobacteria, and fungi (blood, urine, stool, sputum, spinal fluid).

2) Serologies for Brucellosis, CMV infection, amebiasis, toxoplasmosis, and chlamydial diseases.

3) Serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP) is useful in diagnosing SLE flares.

4) Serum ferritin levels are useful in cases of SLE flare, and adult Still disease

5) Antinuclear antibody titers, rheumatologic factor, thyroxine level, and ESR,

6) High resolution CT scan of lung and CT scan of chest.

7) Ultrasound and CT scan of abdomen.

8) Technetium bone scan

9) Liver function tests and kidney function tests.

10) Adrenal function tests.

11) Peripheral blood smear.

I am not sure about EBV. This may be concomitant. Primarily it may not be responsible for it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/