Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I manually remove my babies poop because it's very hard and she gets constipated for weeks is that wrong ? Suppository , prune juice and stool softeners don't usually work. What can I do? She is 2 years old
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Well, no manual evacuation is an accepted way to treated constipation in babies, but it can hurt the baby if you don't know what you're doing. Being constipated for weeks is also a common problem, but nothing that should be ignored. If your baby has chronic constipation issues, then a visit to the pediatrician is warranted. Something you can do at home is to give less milk (cut the current per day milk to half) than you already are and substitute that with water for a couple of weeks to see if that works. Seating the baby in luke warm tub of water for 10 minutes also helps in self evacuation of the stools.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of this screen.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But when I took her to the piadtrician he did the same thing with a glove to release the stool how come I can't do it ? The warm bath and the milk are all things I tried that didn't work , is there a more effective medicine for 2 year olds ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

I never said you can not do it. But it's something that is painful and should be done with good lubrication and very gently and even with all the precautions repeat manual evacuations can cause trauma to the anal canal resulting in spasm of the sphincter making constipation worse. So, you can do it but only when necessary. Medication that are effective are also prescription only and we can not advise medication on the website. Constipation in 2 year old children is usually due to their diet, may be add some more fiber in the child's diet can help.

Hope this helps.

Regards.