Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have a terrible heartburn that has lasted for 4 days ,I'm

Customer Question

I have a terrible heartburn that has lasted for 4 days ,I'm drinking water and eating mashed potatoes I have an incredible amount of Flem and a
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have a thyroid condition and I take Florentine and levothyroxin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I will go see a doctor as soon as I get my new medical card this is just painful
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 4 days nothing really it's just always there I'm burping like a pig gagging on flem and coughing like I smoke 3 packs a day quit smoking 1996
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Do you have pain or burning sensation in upper abdomen above navel?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having terrible heartburn that has lasted for 4 days is most likely due to a condition called GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there is associated gastritis.

The following are the tests that confirm the GERD:

-Upper endoscopy/ esophagogastroduodenoscopy(EGD)

-Barium swallow

To get relief from this heart burn,following is recommended for you:

• To get relief ,take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.
  • Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly.
  • Avoid alcohol consumption.Dont take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items. .All this will help you greatly to keep your symptoms at bay.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh