Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have been on Allopurinoll, I have been on Allopurinol for

I have been on Allopurinoll
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have been on Allopurinol for some years now but about 12 weeks ago I got a very sore middle finger on my right hand. Been to the doc several times since and have been on 2 lots of Prednisole 8 a day for 5 days twicw and 4 a day for 10 days. Regular Solpadeine and now I'm on Colchisene. My finger is very swollen, red and hot. Had xray and it was ok. Dont know what more to do. Can you help. It has been put down as gout.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: App 3 months. Its sometimes worse in the morning but it's getting better. The 1st lot of steroids helped and I thought it was better but a couple of days later it was back and nothing really helped after that
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No she knows all my history and meds
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
See above I meant its NOT getting better

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Please post the picture of finger and x-ray.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's ok. I'll leave it for the moment. Thank you.

Are you posting a new picture? This is not clear.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont know how to send a photo.

Thanks for the picture.

I feel that apart from gout there is a secondary infection. This is likely to respond to antibiotics. Ideally your doctor need to put a needle in the swollen finger to aspirate the fluid. This fluid should be sent for biochemistry and culture. That would confirm the infection as well as metabolic process causing the swelling, pain, redness and tenderness. Your doctor may also consider starting any of these gout medications too;

1) Febuxostat

2) Lesinurad

3) Pegloticase.

An injection of Traimcinolone on finger also would be beneficial for immediate decreasing of the symptoms.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much. I will show your letter to my doctor tomorrow. I forgot to say the 1st time I was on steroids for this I was also on Augmentin which I now feel was what helped as it went away but when I stopped medication it came back straightaway.

You are very welcome.

A previous benefit from Augmentin indicates that antibiotic would be helpful and there is a mild chronic infection concomitant to gout inflammation.

Wish you all the very best.

Please do not forget to rate this thread.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I AM GOING TO A CLINIC TOMORROW TO GET FURTHER TESTS ON IT BUT TODAY WHEN I WOKE UP IT SEEMS TO BE A LOT BETTER. STILL VERY SWOLLEN BUT I CAN MOVE IT AND BEND IT AND DO THINGS I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR WEEKS NOW. THANK YOU AGAIN.

You are most welcome.