Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Warfarin question. Seeing that term use of Warfarin is bad

Customer Question

Warfarin question. Seeing that long term use of Warfarin is bad in that it can add calcium build up to the arteries and create heart problems in addition to the danger of bleeding, and bleeding in the brain that can cause death. If a normal INR is 1.0 and I'm taking lets say 5 mg of Warfarin daily and my INR is the same (1.0) as if I am taking no Warfarin at all................. My question is: Is the risk of Calcium build up just as great if I was taking 5 mg daily with a 1.0 INR as if I was taking 5 mg per day with a 2.0 INR? Or does the risk of calcium build up decrease when the INR drops towards 1.0 (normal)?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Warfarin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: DVT right Calf, trying to get off the long term Warfarin use. 99.9% sure the DVT was caused by dehydration when cycling.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

warfarin is a blood thinner and will not worsen calcium build up in arteries

where did you see this risk

as you age, you normally can have increase risks for calcium build up and hardening of your arteries .

warfarin will not make this worse.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bleeding strokes, or brain strokes. (hemorrhage strokes)
Calcium build-up in the arteries and narrowing of the aortic valve that goes from the heart and carries oxygen to the body. (aortic valve stenosis)
Alzheimers and dementia are higher in users of Coumadin long term. Especially if warfarin is used as an AFIB treatment.http://www.healthdiscoveries.net/warfarin-side-effects.html