Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Thyroid,i have graves dease.current dotor wants to treat me

Customer Question

thyroid,i have graves dease.current dotor wants to treat me with radium activated iodine treatment.is there any other way to treat?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have been with dr,who knows this dease but lack of explaing what he is doing ,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing.i rather from this thyroid problem let him give me radium unless im fully understand that he is doing right.i dont trust him.all the test as been done and he is ready treat me now
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response in a few mins. Thanks for your patience!

Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Grave's disease is a condition in which the thyroid is producing an increased amount of thyroid hormones because of an autoimmune problem. This means that the body is producing antibodies which are acting as a stimulus to release an increased amount of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland. This would cause several symptoms including palpitations, sweating, enlarged thyroid gland as well as shortness of breath, bulging eyes, tremors in hands etc. Now the treatment can vary in patients with graves disease but there are TWO major modes of treatments. One is the radioactive iodine treatment whic your doctor recommended, the other treatment option is with anti thyroid drugs. These drugs include methimazole and propylthiouracil. These drugs act on the thyroid gland and decrease the production of the thyroid hormones and thus control the symptoms. However you would have to take these drugs for a long period of time and this would require repeated adjustment in their doses to achieve an optimal dose. The MAJOR drawback with this form of treatment is that upto 50% of patients who use anti thyroid drugs relapse very quickly and their symptoms reappear within the span of one to two years.

That is why the current recommendations state that the radioactive iodine is the BEST form of treatment as it achieves cure rates in upto 80-90% of patients who use this therapy. This would allow your graves to be adequately controlled and would not require as much monitoring as you would need with anti thyroid drugs.

That is why the radioactive iodine is recommended to almost all patients who have been diagnosed with graves disease. Here is a reference article which also mentions this point,

Graves disease reference

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/