Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have some pain across my shoulders and my blood pressure

Customer Question

I have some pain across my shoulders and my blood pressure is 153 over 102...should I go to emergency or is the blood pressure not high enough?
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: About a month ago is was a normal reading.. my father has high blood pressure
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No I don't believe so... my cholesterol runs high but otherwise I'm not on any medication
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating neurological & all health conditions including blood pressure management and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

This rise in blood pressure could be related to the stress from the pain too, however let me first explore other possibilities too, and also let me first assess the severity of this rise in blood pressure;

Is this kind of pain across the shoulder usual for you? or is this is a new pain?

Is the pain very severe?

Any nausea or vomiting or dizziness or chest pain, or any other unusual or new symptoms?

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pain is a new pain it's been about 3 days. The pain is not severe but sometimes goes around to my chest which makes me nervous..no nausea

Okay I see. Appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

It is better to get this evaluated in the emergency - just as a precautionary measure.

This rise in blood pressure is not very high however you recently had a normal blood pressure so your body may perceive this rise as high. So it is better to get this managed in the emergency. Also you are having a new pain so we need to find out the cause for this pain so visiting the emergency can help in investigating the pain too

So it is better to visit the emergency so you can receive a thorough evaluation, investigations and then treated appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Customer/p>

The chest & shoulder area pain is most likely not from anything serious, does not look like related to heart etc, but it is better to get this evaluated further in the emergency - mainly as a precautionary measure.

Hi, how are you feeling now? Any better? Have you decided about visiting the ER?

Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Best Regards!