Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a seizure disorder that is treated with 0.5mg, 4 X

Customer Question

I have a seizure disorder that is treated with 0.5mg, 4 X day, yet I'm having problems getting medical marijuana. I also have: Generalized Torsion Dystonia, Torticollis, Spasmodic Dysphonia, Migraines, 5 herniated discs, with 3 (cervical) having been fused. Along with Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease in all discs, diagnosed in the early 1970's, severe chronic depression, 3 strokes, 1 heart attack, Periphial Neuropathy in all limbs, Polyneuropathy that has progressed to my abdomen. This keeps me from being able to lift my feet, so I have to slide each foot a few inches. After a small amount of walking, I can not walk at all. Thyroid disorder, Severe chronic depression, I need right hip surgery and knee surgery, broken 19 bones due to falls. I was severely abused as a child, in every way possible. I blocked all but the emotional abuse, but the strokes brought back now unblocked memories and I obsess over them, due to brain damage. I've been in ICU twice, the second time on a ventilator and my family was told I might die. This is an undiagnosed condition along with my right side being paralyzed twice. There is even more. I have been disabled since 1994 and because of Vasovagal syncopy, I have to lay in bed until 5 or 6pm, in an attempt to avoid passing out. I tried marijuana and for the first time since my 20's, I experienced total pain relief with Marijuana. The obsessing stopped, along with no seizures, no migraines, etc. I only tried it as my neurologist told me many times over a 6 year period that if medical marijuana ever becomes legal in GA, he will prescribe it. Well, he didn't for reasons that hold water as well as a boat made of window screen. I would never have tried it if I had any doubt that he wouldn't prescribe it. Now, I know there is a safe medication that makes me feel almost normal. I need a caring doctor as this one tests for marijuana, etc. at each visit.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Okay.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I've been in excruitiating pain since my early 20's and I've been disabled since late 1994.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My bladder doesn't contract, I have hypothyroidism, sleep apnea with 60% central apnea and more.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 14 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

To qualify for medical marijuana in Georgia, the doctor that is treating you for the qualifying medical condition can recommend it. So, if your current doctor is not willing to recommend it, you would need to establish with a new Neurologist. However, it is impossible to know whether any specific doctor (or Neurologist) is willing to prescribe medical marijuana for a specific individual until they have been able to assess that individual.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did not understand what this is. I thought you could recommend a doctor in my state, but after entering my credit card information, I was directed to a "dog veterinarian," so I cancelled the service. Thanks for what I already knew.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I stated that he promised me for 6 years and he brought it up each time, only to deny me after telling me he would do it and telling me to fill out the "Low THC" form!

Yes, you said that, but no doctor can be forced to comply with such a previous statement.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I know. That is exactly why I contacted this service. I did not expect or even suggest that I wanted you to make him keep his word!

Then what information are you seeking when you said, "I stated that he promised me for 6 years and he brought it up each time, only to deny me after telling me he would do it and telling me to fill out the "Low THC" form!"?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was just telling you the facts of my situation. I thought this was a site that linked patients, seeking medical marijuana, to doctors who are willing to approve it, if the patient qualifies. I think we are done here.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 13 days ago.

No, because of what I said above - it is impossible to know whether any specific doctor (or Neurologist) is willing to prescribe medical marijuana for a specific individual until they have been able to assess that individual.