High fiber intake (lot of vegetable and fruits), exercises, walking and plenty of fluids always are part of the management of the constipation. People who do not respond to this may try OTC laxative. If this is inadequate, are advised to take the following medications by prescription;
1) Polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax)
3) Tegaserod (Zelnorm)
These agents are proven for their effectiveness at improving stool frequency and consistency in patients with chronic constipation.
The other helpful agents are;
Following measures can be helpful;
1) Increased fluids
2) Prune juice and dried plums
3) Increased fiber; prepration like Benfiber can be tried.
4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," have been found to have good result in moving the bowel.
5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolie reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes next half hour of meal, for toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.
6) Increase in exercise
7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenylmethanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein).
8) Avoidance of stress
9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time
11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)
12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal
14) Grainy breads, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel
15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans and lima beans
16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.
Food which cause constipation and should be avoided are;
Meat / Red meat
Chips, cookies and pizza
Foods that contain white flour
Junk food or fast food
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Wishing you all the very best in life.