Maureen Whelihan
Maureen Whelihan,
Experience:  physician - owner at Center for Sexual Health and Education LLC
96220841

I get very heavy periods with large blood clots ever since I

Customer Question

I get very heavy periods with large blood clots ever since I had a procedure about 18 months ago when I was told my periods sold almost stop. Instead have got worse, have spoken to surgeon on several occasions, now an starting to get a little worried am also unable to find a doctor as the one's I have contacted in town are not taking on new patients and the doctor I originally went to is no longer in town.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I get some pain on my left side and my last period was 10 days ago but it varies from 2 to 6 weeks apart
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had burst appendix about 20 years ago, ectopic pregnancy about 26 years ago 2 births with surgery have had to have blood. have slight blood pressure give blood when my INR level isn't to low, is this the sort of things you need to know
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Maureen Whelihan replied 8 days ago.

Hello - I am Dr Whelihan - an OBGYN. It sounds like you had an endometrial ablation? Are you in your 40s?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

No earlier 50s

Very typical time for heavy periods with clots. Good news is, that menopause shouldn't be too far away! Did you have an ablation procedure of your lining or just a D&C?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Not sure what your talking about, haven't heard of that?

You mentioned you had heavy periods for about 18mos since you had a procedure which was supposed to make your bleeding better. What was the procedure?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

The procedure was to remove a large number of polyps due to the surgeries I had in my earlier years and the heavy periods only started after that but was told that my periods would probably stop.( the opposite happened and I'm wanting to know why?)

Ah, ok, a dilation and curettage and polypectomy. You are correct, that should generally take your period back to normal, NOT increase your bleeding. I wonder if one of the polpys did not get completely removed and the small blood vessel in it is bleeding? A transvaginal ultrasound would be very helpful and figuring out the problem. You need to see your GYN in the next day or so.