Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have been taking Metaxalone for the last couple of weeks

Customer Question

I have been taking Metaxalone for the last couple of weeks for arthritis. I am having an epidural for spine pain (cortisone I think) tomorrow, and I was supposed to stop taking all NSAIDs one week prior - but I didn't know Meloxicam was an NSAID Can I still have the procedure done on Monday?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Per an MRI, the pain is due to two herniated disks.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been taking metaxalone and meloxicam.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Well unfortunately i think your procedure may have to be delayed, if you had taken just a single dose of meloxicam then it would probably would have gone through and you would be able to get the procedure on time but since you have been using it for a couple of weeks, i think the procedure will have to be delayed by atleast a week. The reason to do this would be because meloxicam and other NSAIDs can increase the risk of complications during the procedure, they can potentially cause bleeding during or after the procedure so this is why it is always recommended for them to be stopped for atleast a week before the procedure itself. So in short, i dont think you will be able to get the epidural on monday as planned.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I check in for the procedure and tell the doctor/anesthesiologist before the procedure, can I let them decide then? Or is that too risky that they might opt to go through the procedure anyway because they feel they can handle it? It's just an epidural.

Well it depends on the doctor and the anesthesiologist, some of them are so sure of their skills that they would be willing to take the risk and go ahead with the procedure but other people would like to play it safe, and not go ahead with the procedure at all. I would recommend that you tell the doctors beforehand and let them decide, but i have a feeling they will delay the procedure as if it was me, i would delay it and reschedule it for next week. I have seen complications occur even with NSAIDs regarding bleeding, they are rare to be sure but they can occur nonetheless. So tell your doctors and discuss this with them. Let me put it another way, using NSAIDs like this would cause bleeding in 1 out of 100 cases and that risk can be acceptable for some doctors while not for others.

Do you have any more questions?