Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

After sitting even for ten minutes when I stand my legs are

Customer Question

After sitting even for ten minutes when I stand my legs are numb and tingle. I should also tell you that I have been insulin dependent for the last 52 years. Am a well controlled diabetic.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling, walking for 20-30 minutes makes the tingling go away but as soon as I sit it starts again.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

This could be an early sign of peripheral neuropathy from your longstanding diabetes. When you sit, the circulation to the legs is reduced somewhat. Normally, this would not be felt. However, if the nerves going into the legs are partially damaged from the diabetes, they may be reacting earlier or to a greater degree than one would normally expect. Your doctor can check your circulation for signs of vasculopathy and check your nerves by doing nerve conduction tests (NCV/EMG). This will let him or her know if there are issues brewing that might need intervention.