Nurse1st
Nurse1st, Nurse
Experience:  NP MHT
7466212

I am a 30 year old woman. I've been suffering from bowel

Customer Question

I am a 30 year old woman. I've been suffering from bowel problems ever since i was a teenager. back then i remember being frustrated from not being able to have one bowel movement once and for all like everybody else every day. instead, i felt i had to go at least 3 or 4 times (sometimes more) in the morning to empty completely. Moreover, the trip to school was always a nightmare since at any moment i could feel the urgent need to empty again. (when i feel the urgent need to empty, i have a sudden pain in the abdomen that goes away upon emptying). I would stress about that every morning and stress made it worse. At times I would have diarrhea for several days and at others i would be constipated, sometimes successively, which confused me.
Symptoms seem to get better at times and worsen at others. They typically seem to get worse near my menstruations. (I suffer from premenstrual syndrome). In addition to that, ever since my late teens and early twenties, I began to suffer from bloating. During my mid twenties, i also began to suffer from chronic lower back pain. I knew I had a weak lower back ever since i was in school but at that time, the pain became very frequent. Today, at thirty, I feel my symptoms have worsened as well as my premenstrual syndrome.
Nowadays I don't leave my house before 11 a.m. - noon because I don't know when I might have bowel movements that require me to go to the toilet right away, or within minutes at most.
Any ideas or advice?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nurse1st replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I would be happy to discuss any questions or concerns via phone if you would like.

Thank you,

Carole NP

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, I'd rather not discuss this over the phone.
Expert:  Nurse1st replied 10 days ago.

Have you been diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), or any other conditions in your medical history? Do you currently take any medications for relief in this, or have you previously tried anything that had any effects?

Carole NP

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, Carole. Frankly I've never consulted a doctor about this, but a nutritionist once diagnosed me with IBS.I don't take any medications. I've previously tried probiotics, they're helpful but they don't eliminate the symptoms totally, especially the fact that i need to empty more than once in the morning.
Following a caffeine-free diet rich in soluble fibers (such as oats), moderate in insoluble fibers, and low in fodmaps has decreased diarrhea, constipation and bloating. But the need to empty several times and the feeling of urgency are still there.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just letting you know I'm still waiting :)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello?