Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My husband has not been feeling well for almost two weeks.

Customer Question

my husband has not been feeling well for almost two weeks. we have all been sick with upper respiratory, sinus stuff. He is still complaining of pain but in his belly. It is swollen, bloated. he has gas. he was constipated but now when he does and can go it is more like a diarrhea. He says when he walks it hurts. If he picks something up it hurts. It is like a dull throbbing. He has 3 days left on Cefdinir (300 mg twice a day). I suggest a trip to the ER to see if we are dealing with diverticulitis (pardon the spelling). Thoughts? And thank you very much
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Citroplam, no allergies and just the above antibiotic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

antibiotics like cefdinir can kill good bacteria in your bowels and cause bad bacteria like clostridium difficile to grow and cause diarrhea

he should see a doctor to get stool testing to check for c diff toxins in his stools.

he should work on eating more yogurt and protiotics to replace good bacteria into his bowels.