Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is there a test for parkinsons and if so what's involved? No

Customer Question

Is there a test for parkinsons and if so what's involved?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I just started detecting the symtoms, my mom had it. I'm on diabetic meds and heart meds. I also take vitamin supliments
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: invokamet,and victoza for diabetes also losartan,atrovastatin.metoprolol,and an 80 mg a spririn
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: allergic to penacilian and sulfa (found that out the hard way)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are NO tests to diagnose parkinsons disease as they are not very specific, the main way a diagnosis is made in parkinsons disease is on the basis of your history and clinical examination. If you have the signs and symptoms of parkinsons disease and fulfill the diagnostic criteria then a diagnosis is made. MRI and other scans of the brain may be done to rule out other disorders which share similarities with parkinson's disease however the diagnosis is made clinically. Sometimes a DaTScan can be done which can differentiate between different types of parkinsons and identify early parkinson's however it is NOT a substitute for the clinical diagnosis. Here is a link which tell you more about the diagnostic criteria,

Parkinson's Diagnostic Criteria

If you suspect that you have parkinson's disease then you should see a neurologist who can examine you and determine if you have the disease or not.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.