Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

How does drinking additional amounts of water affect the

Customer Question

How does drinking additional amounts of water affect the kidney's?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: On no meds. Only want to keep kidneys healthy.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: not allergic as far as I know. On daily vitamins only.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Am urinating quite frequently during the night hours, no other symptons.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Well drinking more water would not necessarily keep the kidney healthy. You just need to drink enough water to fulfill your daily requirements, drinking more water than the daily requirement wont protect the kidney, it will just be excreted out of body without any beneficial effects. Another thing which should be kept in mind is that drinking too much water can actually have a bad effect on the body, excessive water intake can lead to drop in the sodium levels in the body which can lead to drowsiness, seizures etc. So basically it is recommended that you drink enough water to fulfill the daily requirements which change according to teh situation. So drinking additional amounts of water, more than the requirements would cause the kidney to filter out the excess in teh form of increased production of urine.

Now the urination at night, that can certainly be due to increased intake of water but there are certain diseases which can cause this problem as well. The first one which comes to mind is diabetes which is a common cause of increased urination and nocturia. Another cause can be a prostate issue IF you are male. Yet another cause can be diabetes insipidus which is another form diabetes in which there is increased production of urine due to deficiency of a hormone in the body which is known as ADH. So if the nocturia (urination at night) is worsening then you should get tested for these conditions EVEN if you dont have any other symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how much is enough for the average body?

That is a difficult question to answer as many factors affect the daily reqirement, your age, weight , height, the current weather, your activity levels etc etc. But generally speaking, it is recommended that an adult male living in a temperate environment would need about 13 cups of fluids on a daily basis (this includes all fluids not only plain water), this comes to about 3 liters of fluids. Ofcourse if you drink more caffeine or alcohol, that would have the oppositie effect as they promote excretion of water from the body. But on average you need approximately 3 Liters of fluids on a daily basis but this does change from individual to individual.

Do you have any more questions?