Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I injured one of my fingers when rock climbing about a month

Customer Question

I injured one of my fingers when rock climbing about a month ago. The injury felt very minor, but after a few more episodes of weakness and soreness when climbing, I decided to go to a hand specialist. The hand specialist didn't really diagnose the problem, and suspected a sprain of one of the ligaments. The doctor placed the finger in a splint, which I am supposed to wear for two weeks to allow the ligaments to heal properly. While in the splint, all of my other fingers and my whole forearm have stiffened up, and it is painful to move or stretch my uninjured fingers. I'm worried the splint is doing more harm than good. Is this to be expected? Should I get a second opinion? Is there anything I should avoid activity wise while in this splint?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I am a 25 year old healthy male, and the finger had full range of motion and no pain at all in day to day activities. Only when I placed a significant load through the finger did I feel pain in finger, hand, and forearm. In the splint, cold weather makes it worse, any movement of my healthy fingers hurts
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No previous soft tissue injuries to the affected hand
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

While in splint movements of the fingers get restricted and mild stiffness is likely but since you have pain as well there might be excessive pressure by the splint on your healthy fingers that is causing further stiffness and painful movements. I would recommend you to followup with your doctor so that it can be either adjusted or completely taken off.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of this screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have followup question.