How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 17992
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 67 year old woman who has had an illeostomy for 48

Customer Question

I am a 67 year old woman who has had an illeostomy for 48 years. On 11-14 a surgeon did a stoma revision.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: pleae wait there is mre histoy ok
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: yesl the docto had to perform a subsequnt surgery 8 days later to relieve the blockage that developed. Ever since the surgeries I have had an awful time mqiking an appllianc ahhere f9r very lomg. On onne side of the stoma is a 3 cm tunnel that is draining pus. On th other side is an infection the doctor thinke iw a cople of stithes infected0 it is draining too,. I went to see a
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
aOn Nov, 22 they had to go back in and relieve thee edema and the blockage that was formed. I have had a horrible time keeping an apliance on. On one side of the stoma on the skin is a 3 cm. tunnel that is draining pus all the time. On the othr side is another hole that runs sideways - surgeon says two stithes probably got infected Regardless,, the drainage keeps yhe appliance from staying on, I pack te tunnel with adquacel gell gayze. I haven't been told what to do with the other side. But the skin is gettting quite sore from frequent h\changing. I went to a GI doctor and he said it was a srgical project. Is there anything that can cloose up those holes?\\
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is usually no simple intervention that will close these holes and drainage tracts. When there is infection and drainage of pus, it is usually necessary to first get control of the infection and pus. This will typically require antibiotics and may require surgical opening of the tunnel.

A culture of the drainage can aide in selection of antibiotics.

It is usually only after the infection and purulent drainage is controlled that these holes and tunnels can heal.

The Gastroenterologist is correct that the care of these infected holes and tunnels would usually care by the surgeon.