Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 74 yr old husband has recently shown strong symtoms of

Customer Question

My 74 yr old husband has recently shown strong symtoms of dementia. This has happened rather fast and he is taking a second round of pills (Namzaric) but they don't work, he is worse than ever. Can you tell me the difference between senile dementia and alzheimer's?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: This is about my husband.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This is about my husband, may I talk to a person?
JA: I'm the Doctor's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: tell me the difference between alzheimer's and senile dementia
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband. Actually senile dementia is a very broad term which can encompass a large number of conditions which can cause dementia however there are some subtle differences in between alzheimers and senile dementia. Senile dementia usually has the following symptoms,

• a decline in the ability to think
  • memory impairment
  • communication impairment

These symptoms can be common in both types however alzheimers can cause the following symptoms,

• difficulty remembering recent events or conversations
  • apathy
  • depression
  • impaired judgment
  • disorientation
  • confusion
  • behavioral changes
  • difficulty speaking, swallowing, or walking in advanced stages of the disease

Also in some cases of alzheimers a patient may experience visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations and balance issues. But the way to confirm which type of dementia your husband has would be to get it evaluated by your doctor who can run clinical tests to determine which type of dementia he actually has. He can even run a MRI on the brain which would show which regions of the brain are affected, in alzheimers certain regions are affected more than others such as the hippocampus etc.

If he is worsening it is worthwhile visiting his doctor and having him re evaluate your husband.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/