Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Second opinion] I have been told I have acid reflux. I have

Customer Question

Second opinion] I have been told I have acid reflux. I have had chest pains for years on both sides. I have taken omeprazole once a day for it . I am heavy smokeless tobacco user . A few weeks ago started having burning in my stomach right under sternum and throughout my abdominal area. Having diarrhea five to six times a day. Sometimes in the middle of the night sleeping or shortly after I eat .Back pain sometimes middle of back. Va did a CBC and chem 7 test . It wasn't a fasting lab . My blood suger was little high and liver function was little elevated. Va Gi Dr put me on pantoprazole 40 mg twice a day. Wants me to come back end of month for ultra sound of gallbladder. I am still having chest pains and stomach burning on this med. Been on it for 3 days. On my moms side of family everyone had had their gallblader removed. My grandfather had type 2 dibities. i also had an ulcer 17 years ago. Been stressed out about this . Should I be concerned with stomach or esophageal cancer? Glucose came back 185. Non fasting. Sgpt 89 and sgot 40. H. Pylor negative. Stomach still cramping. Creatine level was high kidneys.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 17 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Let me at the outset tell you that you should not be concerned about the esophageal or stomach cancer. Your symptoms are not suggestive of it. You may have following;

1) Esophageal spasm
2) Esophageal motility disorder
3) Esophagitis

4) Hiatal hernia

Also you need to be investigated for gall bladder disease which is a definite possibility with your family history, symptoms and raised SGPT.

Your blood sugar too is high and you are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. That explains the creatinine leve, but this should fall back to normal and can be due to dehydration.

Wish you a very happy, prosperous, healthy and safe new year 2017.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Still having stomach pains all in my stomach burn and sharp pains I was told I am dibietiec. Liver function high. Blood suger was 8.5.
Have a lot of gas. Acid reducer still not working. Stressed this could be late stage gastric cancer that's moved to liver and making me diebitic. Costapatied now. What are symptoms of gastro cancer

I can assure you that it is not gastric cancer. It causes severe loss of appetite and weight loss.

Your anxiety is overplaying and aggravating your symptoms.

Anxiety can be helped by;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have went on a diet few days ago and am watching my suger. Kidneys have been hurting me tonight.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hga1c 8.3. Sgpt89 sgot40h glucose 185 creatine 202.33h

I saw your these investigations and once your blood sugar is lowered, creatinine would come back to normal.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Have lost 12 pounds I think from changing my diet and stress.trying to quit smokeless tobacco and hard being stressed. Have been chain dipper for years. Have the chest pains of acid reflux but never the regurgitate feeling. For years I have thrown up some mornings right after bfst . Maybe sinus drainage. I do have sleep apnea bad and sleep with a cpap.

All these contribute in your problems. You need to address them together and that will help in resolving all of your symptoms. I can again assure that it is unlikely to be cancer (though I understand you have significant symptoms).

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do raise my own pigs. Could these stomach pains be from eating under cooked pork accidentally ? No one else in the family is sick . Stomach is tender and sore to touch. Could gallblader make stomach hurt but not have pain where gallbladders located ?The pain is constant between sternum and navel . Sometimes below.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 16 days ago.

Gall bladder is mostly in the mid abdomen or upper mid abdomen. So this may be related to it. As we discussed peptic ulcer and hiatal hernia too cause pain in the same place.

With no family member having pain; less cooked por is quite unlikely to be reason here.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In 1999 had stomach trouble. Upper Gi showed questionable duodenal bulb ulcer. Pepcid 20 mg didn't help. So Dr prescribed Helidac pack . That seemed to heal it. I remember the pain was different then what I have now. That pain was more burning and every time I would it it burned all the way down. The only thing that would help it was half and half milk.

All these description point to peptic ulcer.

I think you keep on thinking about cancer. Please do not search. These search engines are pollutants,

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would I need helidac pack or will pantoprazole 40 mg twice a day heal ulcer if that is the problem? Can I use tums with pantoprazole ? H.pylor test was negative
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How long to heal ulcer ?

Start with Tums and pantoprazole.

If this does not wor in 7-10 days, Helidac pack would be required.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Been on pantoprazole for 7 days now . No tums. No sodas and blend diet .
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
normal to have pain when bending over or holding my 6 month old?All of abdominal area is tender and sore.

These symptoms are not abnormal. But there can be associated abdominal muscle strain causing it too.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Normal for my wedding band to fall of finger after a year of it being tight. After a few days of low sodium low calorie diet ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do take 25 mg of hctz a day

Yes it is normal. All are contributing.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Legs are smaller. Stomach feels tender since the diarrhea first started. Bowl movements are normal right now.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I take valerian root ? High blood pressure and dibetic. Liver function being high

Avoid Valerian root as it metabolizes in liver.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can I take lorazepam with high liver function.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 15 days ago.

Larazepam can be taken. But again it need regular monitoring of liver functions. It may not raise the liver functions as it is not toxic to it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Lab today showed increase in sgpt 89 to 155. Sgot 40. To 76?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

You should be investigated for following, if not done:

b) hepatitis B and C

c) muscle disorders,

d) thyroid disorders,

e) celiac disease,

f) adrenal insufficiency

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I use the Va and it's not that good. Do I need to have a scope done and upper Gi asap on my own Check for advance stomach cancer. Hep b and c lab was negative

Upper GI would be good investigation to exactly ascertain what is going on.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can I take fluoxetine Hcl. 20 mg ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What can I take for pain
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 14 days ago.

You can take Fluoxetine.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What can take for pain?Real sharp pain below my sternum. All day.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok take melatonin for sleep ?

Majority of the medications metabolize in liver. So there is always some risk.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
This is the link to my profile: