Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

We live in Everett but are traveling for a wedding. Actually

Customer Question

Hi! My name is***** live in Everett but are traveling for a wedding. Actually in Arkansas now. My family all had their flu shot in October. My husband believes he and several others at work had flu last wknd. My daughter is 22 and began flu symptoms tonight. Vomited this afternoon and started with a fever and chills about 2 hours ago. We are spending time with a family member who begins more chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer next week. Should my daughter be treated by a dr? As in a walk in clinic and Tamiflu? We're very concerned about my brother in law's exposure to influenza.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Not sure what that is?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. she's a healthy young woman otherwise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be appropriate for your daughter to be checked at a Walk-In Clinic or Urgent Care Center. She may simply have a generic viral infection, but it may be influenza, and if so, she may benefit from influenza treatment, such as Tamiflu.

In addition, once the specific type of infection is identified, then the risk for your brother-in-law can be clarified, including what, if any, additional steps can be taken to limit the risk for the brother-in-law.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.