Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What is my risk of developing Parkinson's at age 84, Yes, he

Customer Question

What is my risk of developing Parkinson's at age 84
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, he thinks I may be developing PD but I have very few symptoms
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I smoked from 1946 to 1953. Nothing else
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now there is no specific number which has been set for the exact risk of developing PD at a particular age however a number of studies have been done to determine the risk of PD with increasing age. In a study done in 2009, they found that the risk of developing parkinsons increased significantly above the age of 60. They calculated a incidence rate of 9.9% in the given population segment. They determined that the risk of developing parkinsons is present uptill the age of 89 and after that the risk falls slightly. Smoking was found to be a protective factor in some cases.

In general it is said that the risk of PD above the age of 60 is 2-4% more than the general population however a number of other factors also come into play. The risk increases if there is family history of PD, it increases if there has been exposure to chemicals in the past etc.

So i would say your risk of PD is the same as that of a person above the age of 60 even at age 84, unless there is family history of the disease which would slightly increase the risk. However a definitive number cannot be given here because of the complicated nature of PD itself in terms of its causative factors.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/