Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I recently had a sinus infection, and I just finished my

Customer Question

I recently had a sinus infection, and I just finished my antibiotic. I am still having difficulty breathing, my chest feels heavy, and I'm coughing up flem (spelling?). They said I may need to go back in if the antibiotic didn't assist. I do feel better than I did, but I don't understand why I'm still coughing and having chest issues.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: The cough has been on going for approximately 5 weeks now. My doctor told me that I should have came in sooner. I wasn't wheezy or anything though when I was there, and she said everything sounded fine.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From your description it sounds like that the infection has not settled down. Since you have finished your course of antibiotics and you are STILL having difficulty breathing, it is clear that the infection has not cleared up. This can happen in many cases, the reason being that the antibiotic which was used either did not completely clear up the bacteria or the bacteria which are causing the infection were not susceptible to the infection. Secondly you mentioned a sinus infection, sinus infections by themselves would not cause symptoms this severe. The chest heaviness, persistent cough and shortness of breath could mean that you may have developed a pneumonia now, in many cases a pneumonia would not show many clinical findings especially in case of walking pneumonia. In that case the clinical findings are minimal and a chest xray would be needed to diagnose the condition.

Since you are not feeling better, i think the time have come to get a chest xray done along with a culture of phlegm which you are coughing up. The second test will allow us to determine exactly which antibiotic would be most effective in your case. I would strongly suggest that you do visit your doctor once again and get these two tests done to start with and i think you will also need some blood work including a CBC. If the shortness of breath is severe then you should immediately go to the ER and if not you should see your doctor at the earliest. This is likely atypical or walking pneumonia which would need a different antibiotic to be treated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.