Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am on 40 miligrams of lisinopril...I have a swollen ankle

Customer Question

I am on 40 miligrams of lisinopril...I have a swollen ankle and as a result of my walking on it my knee is now swollen...may I take lisinopril to reduce the swelling
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I am sorry...I meant may I take advil to reduce swelling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no...joints knees are fine no ligament or tendon issues...cartilage fine...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations about the swelling in your ankle, and the question about using lisinopril to help with the swelling. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

In brief, lisinopril does not work as a systemic anti-inflammatory, and would not likely help with the swelling in your ankle Instead, one could think that lisinopril works with "valves" within the kidney, to help your whole body manage the volume of water inside the body... it works over the long-term, and would not pick off swelling preferentially from your ankle. A better option to consider would be either elevation (using gravity to help the fluid come down to your heart), an appropriate systemic antiinflammatory medication (naproxen or iburprofen are typical choices, but may interact with your kidneys and lisinopril, so may not be appropriate for you), or the use of ice on the ankle to help with the swelling physically and locally.

It seems that you're not able to chat at the moment - certainly not a problem. This chat session is a Question & Answer session, which means we can both continue to post questions/comments/answers, without time restrictions, until you feel satisfied with the information you’ve received.

Feel free to click "reply" to post answers and more questions at any time. When you click “ reply” and type out your comment/question, I will be notified to come back and answer. You are not charged more than the initial deposit, no matter how long it takes for us to chat, so this will just take the time restrictions away for both of us. When the time comes that you feel satisfied that I have addressed your concern completely, you can then press "accept" and rate the answer so that I may be compensated for the time.