Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Please advise what the main treatment for lung sarcoindosis

Customer Question

Please advise what the main treatment for lung sarcoindosis is
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I also have Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma and saw my Hameotologist today, he has now given me a letter for a Thoracic Specialist whom I will be seeing next week; so t answer your question re medication I'm unable to do so. I was hoping my blood Dr would have given me something today but he won't give me any treatment until we gt 100% diagnosis.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: slightly to codeine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take Targin, losic, osteo panaol, sifrol (sometimes) hay fever tablets, magnesium - Sorry had to go look at my meds!! I also take Zoloft for depression and the Targin is 20/10. I also have chronic osteo arthritis
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now sarcoidosis is a condition in which there are formation of granulomas inside the lung and in the lymphatic tissue of the lung. It would commonly appear as enlarged lymph nodes right next to the lungs along with other changes to teh lung tissue. The MAINSTAY of treatment of sarcoidosis is a high dose steroid therapy for a period 2-3 days after which it will be tapered down to a low dose therapy for several weeks or months depending on your response. If the steroids are not helpful then you will be started on immune suppressant therapy which may involve the use of drugs like azthioprine, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine or methotrexate. These drugs are ONLY second line medications and are used if the steroids fail to cause improvement.

So for now i would recommend that you see the thoracic specialist and get further testing done to confirm the diagnosis so you can be started on steroid therapy as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/