Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am allergic to shellfish and i just had a bite or two of

Customer Question

i am allergic to shellfish and i just had a bite or two of gumbo that had various shellfish in it.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i took a benadryl about 4 minutes later and am about to drink some coffee my ears are red and hot and tingly i dont notice any breathing issues or swallowing issues. im eating potato soup now.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: i got the symptoms about 2 to 5 mintues after eating the soup about 15 minutes ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating neurological & all health conditions including food & fish allergies and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

You are doing the right thing by taking an antihistaminic medication like Benadryl and it can help with most of the mild cases of shellfish allergies.

More severe attacks will present with breathing difficulties or swallowing issues etc you are not having them so this looks like a mild allergic reaction

However you need to observe further, for the next several hours.

Most of the shell fish allergy symptoms start to occur within few minutes and most of the patients will have full blown symptoms within couple of hours. Very rarely symptoms may start occurring about 5 hours or later, but when symptoms occur so late they are almost always mild in nature

But the symptoms occurring soon after eating the fish can be severe due to severe allergic reaction and this will manifest as difficulty with breathing and swallowing etc and if this happens then you need to visit the ER immediately so that you can receive emergency drugs like Epinephrine shot & Steroid shot to resolve the allergic reaction

Based on the information provided by you in your question it sounds like you are not having any such major symptoms like breathing or swallowing difficulties etc so this appears mild allergic reaction and Benadryl will help too and this should resolve soon. But observation for the next few hours is important.

How are you overall feeling now?

Is any of your symptom seems to be worsening?

No difficulty with breathing or swallowing agree?

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm actually at a hotel in Memphis. I am in lobby waiting for paramedics to heck on me. I'd rather not take any chances lol my neck feels hot and my face is hot as well now. I'll let you know what happens.

Okay I see. Yes, this approach is fine too. And why to take any chance? Let the paramedics come and check and if required it is better to visit the ER. In the ER you can be closely monitored, and treatments can be started immediately if required. So calling paramedics is a prudent decision now, and I fully concur with you in this regard.

Please follow up with me any time, I am available here.

All the very best!

Please keep me updated. And please follow up with me anytime if you have additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation further and I am available here.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery!

All the Very best!

When you are ready you may please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Customer/p>

Hi, how are you feeling now? Have the symptoms resolved? I hope you are doing perfectly fine and everything is under control. All the very best!

Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Best Regards!