Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I am writing as a last resort, hoping that you might have an

Customer Question

I am writing as a last resort, hoping that you might have an answer or suggestion.My wife had hip surgery the first week of January 2014. The visiting and nurse and physical therapist were amazed at her rapid recovery. In April we found that her iron level was extremely low, a week later we were notified that her thyroid was way off.
At that time she started having foggy thinking, couldn’t read a book, newspaper, etcIt took 3 or 4 months to get her levels back to normal, but the foggy thinking continued.
She can’t think straight yet her memory is exceptionally good.
This has lead to anxiety and depression. From the time she gets up until bedtime she is constantly complaining about her condition. She hasn’t been to a dentist or bought any cloths since the start.A neurologist said that it wasn’t Alzheimer’s or dementia but appeared to be a mood disorder. (brain catscan and Mir didn’t show anything.)We have gone to 2 different physiatrists and a therapist, tried a host of anti depressants, but nothing has helped.Could this be something else, is there anything else that can be tested or tried? What should our next step be ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry your wife is having difficulty with her thought process.

What medication does she take?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

What was her last TSH test result number?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

I will assume that her thyroid function is controlled with medication and her iron levels are also back to normal. Since her MRI and CT scans are normal, then hydrocephalus and tumor have been eliminated as a cause. Since she has been non-responsive to multiple antidepressants, the next step would be to consider ECT to bring her out of her depressive state. Discuss this with her Psychiatrist.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you