Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What is 5 stage end Renal Disease? This is for my

Customer Question

What is 5 stage end Renal Disease?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: This is for my Husband..His Kidney Doctor told me today My husband has stage 5..Is there a cure for it?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He also has heart Disease 4 bypass in 203..Diabetes..had a Stroke in 2015 left side is still paralyzed from the stroke.. still can not walk..it will be 2yrs in March..would he be able to have a transplant?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I have High blood pressure..triple bypass in 2001 ,, Diabetes.. and neropathy from the Diabetes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Stage 5 renal disease refers to the severity of the disease, as determined by the GFR. The GFR is a measure of the amount of blood filtered by the kidney. A normal GFR is 90 or above. A mild decrease in GFR is 60-90, and it is not considered to be chronic renal disease until the GFR is less than 60. Stage 5 renal disease is when the GFR is less than 15.

There is not a single reason for stage 5 renal disease, and the underlying cause will determine what, if any treatment may exist. For most causes of stage 5 renal disease, there is no cure, but there may be some interventions that can be done to limit progression of the disease. Diabetic kidney disease is one of the more common causes of stage 5 renal disease, and while there is no cure, appropriate treatment of the diabetes and ACE inhibitors or ARBs may help to limit progression of the disease process.

From the standpoint of kidney disease, a person with stage 5 disease can be considered for a transplant, but whether he would be eligible for a transplant would depend also upon an assessment of his other medical problems. Specifically, his cardiovascular disease may be an issue, but his Kidney doctor could discuss his case with his other doctors to assess whether he is a candidate.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.