Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Last night I had this guy I been seeing finger me I had my

Customer Question

last night I had this guy I been seeing finger me I had my 2nd outbreak of genital herpes around Christmas eve. Thinking I was in the clear..my question is if he doesn't have any cuts or anything on his fingers or hands and washes immediately afterwards does it kill the virus?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Herpes virus can travel from skin to skin with or without cuts or bruises. There is a condition called "herpetic whitlow" which comes from people who have oral herpes, who develop irritation (infection) on the fingers. Washing of hands with soap and water is helpful, but does not necessarily prevent infections with 100% certainty. Who diagnosed your infection? Have you been treated for it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Have I missed any part of your posted question? Was I able to address the question you provided to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see your reply to my question, I even clicked on the external link and nothing there.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

no worries - must have been a system error.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay now I can see it, I know herpes is a skin to skin contact condition..I was recently diagnosed 2 monthswith hsv2 back by family planning I'm taking valtrex everyday 500 mg for suppression. I just don't know when I'm actually over an outbreak, and I've done my research on the herpetic Whitlow. Like I said he didn't put his hands anywhere else, no other skin contact or oral just washed his hands immediately. Just wondering what are the chances that the virus didn't die.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

excellent! so glad to hear you've had an appropriate diagnosis and treatment. and good for you for doing such great research on your own, that's really fantastic! I'm impressed! I think given that you've been on viral suppression for 2 months, the chances are exquisitely low that there is still virus that would be infectious. Not zero, but very close.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why thankyou! Well since being diagnosed my anxiety been through the roof so I've done a lot of research on many different things. Well hered the thing I haven't been on the suppression therapy for 2 months straight, after my 1st ob I did the valtrex for 10 days than didn't continue cause I don't like to rely on medication. The week of Christmas though I started experiencing prpdome symptoms so that's whenough I got on it and been on since, so this most likely changes the status of the virus still being infectious than. I've read that yes it's a skin to skin contact that contracting it on the hands and fingers is much harder cause the lining of the skin is much thicker compared to the mouth and gentials.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

You're completely spot on correct! There is a little more risk of infection, but only marginally so. The medicine typically works well within the first 4-5 days. It seems like you had it on board for at least that amount of time!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I figure there's still a risk just not as much, so do you think I should just put this all behind me and ease my mind? Also when I got back on the valtrex I doubled up so I wasn't just taking 500mg I was taking 1000mg idk if that would make any difference. Yeah I want to say I been on it for least a week n a half now.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Ah, all great news! Yes, everything you're telling me suggests you have great control of the situation, and you have nothing to worry about! Go you! Well done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wish I could give myself a pat on the back, this has been very emotionally draining for me also has spiked my anxiety and is kind of hindering me a bit from enjoying life. I know it's not life threatening but you do have to adapt and adjust. I just don't always want to have to fear if I have just gone through an outbreak or getting over one and a guy that wants to fool around with me just don't need the idea constantly reminding me if I could give it to him. Obviously I'll always be upfront with whoever I'm seeing. Just difficult. I'm in the health field myself so I know a bit, it's always better to get another perspective from someone else.
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

I can only imagine how emotionally draining it has been for you. I'm sure I would feel the same way if I were in your position. Frustrating, upsetting, helplessness... it would be an emotional rollercoaster! I agree, your approach is wise - adapting and adjusting is the easiest way to manage through the discomfort. I think you're handling it perfectly... and I do hope it will be easier as time goes on. I'm sure it will be for you! You're so bright and wise!