Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am having some weird pain. The left side of my tongue is

Customer Question

I am having some weird pain. The left side of my tongue is quite sore, especially when I move my tongue to the right side of my mouth. When I do this, the pain becomes quite sharp and shooting and causes a sharp pain in my left ear as well, which does not go away as quick as the throat pain. It becomes dull after the initial shock of sharp pain. I've kind of poked around my mouth and noticed that if I push on the flesh/gums behind my backmost tooth on the left side of my mouth that it is a bit sensitive as well, though it does not hurt if I don't apply any pressure.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: Over a week. I haven't checked my temperature, but I don't feel like I have a fever.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have already had my wisdom teeth removed. Other than that, nothing I can think of!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

There are a few possible causes that need to be considered and explored.

First of all I would recommend that you should have your teeth and gums examined to make sure they are all normal because at times an infection in a tooth or gums can lead to such kind of pain.

Secondly, there is a condition that causes nerve pain called as glossopharyngeal neuralgia. This condition can cause the kind of pain that you are having. If teeth problems or infections are ruled out then I would recommend that this condition be considered and ruled out and for that you may need to consult a neurologist particularly if the pain is severe and persistent and also shooting at times like you mention.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards