Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I take 81mg asa daily. i have flue an would like to take

Customer Question

i take 81mg asa daily. i have flue an would like to take Motrin for fever reduction
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: 81 mg asa ONLY. No to allergy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i have arterial blockages, hence the asa. It is under control
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now while you can use motrin with ASA, it is recommended that they be taken with a gap of atleast 8 hours between the two drugs. This means that if you have taken ASA at 8 AM then you can take motrin at 4 PM. the reason is that if they are taken together then you could experience issues with ASAs efficacy in preventing heart disease or even develop bleeding issues. So it is wise to use these two ATLEAST 8 hours apart. But if you are using it only for the flu then you can consider using OTC tylenol for the flu as that can be a better option here. Try using OTC tylenol or a combination of claritin/allegra/zyrtec along with the tylenol.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.