Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Hoarsing around heard a pop on my right lower side, felt

Customer Question

Hoarsing around heard a pop on my right lower side, felt like a pop on my rib cage. Now I'm sore this morning after the fact.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have pain on taking a deep breath? On movement? Is the area tender to touch?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have developed a couple of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed a tear in one of the muscles of the rib cage. This would cause severe pain over the rib cage which would worsen on deep inspiration and on movement. Usually minor tears are treated conservatively which means that you would be treated with the help of rest, increased fluid intake, application of topical OTC voltaren gel, use of anti inflammatory medications like motrin or aleve. If the tear is severe then surgery may be needed to repair the torn muscle. Now another cause of this could be a simple severe muscle spasm which can present in this manner. This would cause pain in a similar manner however in this case using increased amount of plain water as well as electrolyte rich fluids would be beneficial as well.

One more cause which comes to mind is that you could have a dislocated rib cartilage, which is a condition in which the cartilage is displaced. In addition you could have developed inflammation of one or more of the costal cartilages which again can be treated with anti inflammatory medications. Now i would suggest that you apply heat on the area, use OTC voltaren gel and the other methods which i have mentioned above and if they dont help then contact your doctor for a full clinical examination.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/