Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My 23 year old son has a pulmonary embolism & is taking

Customer Question

Hi Pearl my 23 year old son has a pulmonary embolism & is taking blood thinners. He had severe pain in his back/stomach Thursday & went to hospital. He had some tests & needed to have an ultrasound via the GP Friday. However there was no pain Friday & the GP didn't think it was necessary. He then has had pain on & off the last 3 days. The pain has just increased & he has taken more Panadol. We can get the scan tomorrow. I'd like some advice on whether this is ok. If he goes to hospital there will be a long wait. Should he go or is he better off resting? Jo
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries. Not identifying what makes it better or worse. He has had some diahrea.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has epidermolysis bullosa simplex. He thinks he may have irritable bowel syndrome.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating neurological & all health conditions including gastrointestinal conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see the pain is on and off which implies most likely this is not anything serious.

Since he is on blood thinner the main concern is whether he has developed and gastrointestinal bleeding, however if this is the case then the pain will be constant unlike in his case it is intermittent so this does not appear to be secondary to any bleeding.

Also he has some diarrhea and this points towards conditions like gastroenteritis or IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) etc causing the pain rather than any bleeding etc. While these conditions also require evaluation by his doctors but you guys can wait for now. If you guys can get the scan done tomorrow then after the scan report further decision can be made so there is no need to visit the hospital now itself.

If he develops symptoms like severe dizziness, sweating, vomiting, or further worsening of the pain then not to wait for tomorrow, instead to visit the hospital today itself, but if he remains about the same as he is now then there is no need to visit the hospital now, rather the decision can be made after the scan tomorrow –depending upon its report.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Hi, once again I reassure you it does not look like this is an emergency situation so you guys can wait and watch and further decisions can be taken after the scan tomorrow, depending upon the report.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation of your son further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best Regards!