Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am now coughing up blood in mucus i have been sick now 5

Customer Question

i am now coughing up blood in mucus i have been sick now 5 weeks been on antibotics for the last 5 weeks ,i cough ak-ll night till i get up blood '
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: badly now since xmas day when another dr put me on doxycylinn and pretno sons-e
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no he knows me well but he is away at the moment
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you still have a fever? Any shortness of breath?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
very sweeting and hard breething ,i have been taken ventalin

Well from what you are describing the presence of blood in your sputum is VERY concerning. This could mean that the infection is getting worse despite the use of antibiotics, it is possible that you have developed a pneumonia which requires immediate treatment with a change in antibiotics. This may even need supplemental oxygen to be treated. If the quantity of blood is large then it is possible that the infection inside the lungs has eroded a vessel which has started to leak blood into the lungs and now causing large amount of blood to be coughed out. In all of these conditions, you need to be IMMEDIATELY treated in the ER and managed with oxygen, fluids, IV antibiotics, xrays and possible hospital admission. The fact that you are very short of breath and sweating as well means that this is serious, so i would STRONGLY advise that you immediately go to the ER. Please dont delay and go straight to the ER!.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)