Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

A week ago I was exposed to a sudden dangerous amount of

Customer Question

Hello. A week ago I was exposed to a sudden dangerous amount of carbon monoxide. The area was cleared of carbon monoxide. However, ever since I've been suffering faecal incontinence, which has never happened to me before. Will this symptom go away?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. I was prescribed medicine to prevent diarreah but the doctor did not see any significance to the carbon monoxide. But I see from online searching that that is a symptom.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Acute Carbon Monoxide (CO) does have late sequelae which include urinary and faecal incontinence,other symptoms would include gait disturbances,.Encephalopathy,Parkinson's disease and memory loss have been noted after 2-6 weeks.Other problems will include neuropsychiatric problems and Chorea.There is no specific therapy for these conditions,they tend to resolve gradually on their own.The immediate therapy is oxygenation with 100% oxygen.There are no specific tests or therapy for this.