Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have severe hip pain, when I wake up in the morning I can

Customer Question

Hi, I have severe hip pain, when I wake up in the morning I can hobble around for a while , I usually go from bed to desk every morning, 2 min walk, I sit for about an hour and when I try to get out of my chair I have to use crutches to do this, I stand and I cant walk, I use the crutches to move along about 40 50 feet then I dont need them, still in pain and I have to go very slow and not move my left hip in a wrong direction otherwise I just scream with pain, feels like my hip is detached from my leg, I can walk around very carefully, the only relieve I have is lying down in bed, I am 56 and a bit overweight, I sit a lot
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: no swelling, worse is when sitting, the getting up is excruciating pain where I could just cry, best is lying down , no pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no medical history of this sort
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing, it sounds like that you may have developed osteoarthritis of the hip joint. This is a condition in which there is wear and tear of the cartilage inside the joint and over time it starts to shrink down. This will lead to progressive worsening of the pain and especially difficulty in initiating movement or stiffness early in the morning. Now this would not cause swelling etc in most cases however it does cause the sort of pain which you have described. The diagnosis is made with the help of a clinical examination, xray of the joint along with a MRI of the joint. The MRI is the best test as it will tell us the severity of the condition. Now in early stages of osteoarthritis there are measures which can help delay the progression such as supplements like glucosamine/chondritin sulfate alongwith physiotherapy and omega 3 fatty acids. In addition there is some evidence which indicates that using hyaluronic acid injections would be useful here as well as that can help in preserving the cartilage inside the joint or even help in regeneration in some cases. However advanced cases would require steroid injections along with surgery to replace the joint.

My recommendation would be to start using the supplements, use OTC tylenol for the pain or even OTC motrin or aleve and get the MRI done to determine if this is the cause.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/