Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have sharp stabbing pain above the knee. Only certain

Customer Question

I have sharp stabbing pain above the knee. Only certain steps or movements set it off.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: There is some swelling. I am using lots of ice which seems to deaden the pain. However one wrong movement sets off an intense stabbing pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, but I play tennis. Recently I,have been doing lots of aqua fitness with a lot of jumping movements in the watr
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The main causes of this pain would be a tendonitis/tear of the quadriceps muscle above the knee,specifically the vastus medialis.The other possibility is of an adductor canal syndrome due to saphenous nerve entrapment.Both will cause sharp ,intense pain,brought on by movement of the affected muscle fibres.It would be prudent to contact your doctor /Sports Medicine Specialist at the erliest who can help you with the pain.Use of NSAIDs like Ibubrufen wil help,rest and a nerve block will be needed for adductor canal syndrome.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/036354658901700405

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1249621-overview are two articles of interest.