Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and I will be helping you here today. Would you like to ask your medical query here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when should I seek immediate care for swollen, red feet and legs

Thanks for the question.

if you have swollen and red feet which are also painful then you should seek immediate medical attention. The reason being that this can be due to a couple of conditions. the first one is cellulitis which is a condition in which there is an infection of the tissues of the feet. this is due to a bacteria and if left untreated can spread to the rest of the body and cause organ damage. If caught in time it can be easily treated with antibiotics. The next possibility is that of peripheral arterial disease in which there is narrowing of the arteries of the feet. This would cause the color changes as well as the swelling and can cause severe pain. This if left untreated can over time lead to gangrene in the feet and needs to be evaluated as soon as possible with a doppler ultrasound and then treated with medications and if needed stents.

lastly this can also be a blood clot in the veins which should be treated with blood thinners quickly otherwise it can travel up to the lungs and cause difficulty in breathing. A simple doppler would diagnose this problem.

SO in short you should seek medical attention ASAP and get this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.