Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

There is evidence of blood in my urine. it was there 4 days,

Customer Question

there is evidence of blood in my urine. it was there 4 days, it did not show for about a week. now, it is showing again. should i go to ER?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: not so well. i have hypertension and diabetes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: prostate inflammation
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Can i ask do you have any burning urination? Any urinary frequency? Lower abdominal or back pain? Is the blood marked in amount or only a small amount?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

The first thing here is that if you are bleeding in large quantities which means that the urine that you are passing is more blood than urine then YES you should go to teh ER for immediate evaluation and management. This could mean that there is an active vessel which may be bleeding at any locations inside the urinary tract such as the bladder. This would need a cystoscopy to be evaluated and managed in this scenario.

Now if the bleeding is mild in that, the color of the urine has turned pink or is mildly red in color and it is intermittent in nature then you can visit your doctor in the morning. This sort of bleeding can occur in prostatitis which you do have, sometimes the infection can recur and cause bleeding. It can also cause increased frequency as well as burning urination. This would be managed with urine tests and a culture alongwith an ultrasound. It is possible that you may need a change in antibiotics.

if the bleeding is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen or in the back, then you should proceed to the ER as in that case your could have a large kidney stone which is moving through the urinary tract. This would cause bleeding and also cause the pain. In this situation an ER visit is more for management of the pain then the bleeding.

You DO need to be evaluated but the difference is when to get evaluated, if the bleeding is marked or is accompanied by pain then the ER is the way to go and if it is painless or less in amount then visit your doctor for further testing.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/