Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My sister in law was addicted to Percocet's and was clean

Customer Question

My sister in law was addicted to Percocet's and was clean for 3 years until a local Dr. started her on them again. Just this past Thur. she went to the Dr. after falling 4 times in 6 days, she ask for another prescription and he gave it to her, 150 10 mg Percocet's one by mouth up to 5 times a day. she took all the 150 tabs. in less than 2 weeks, and yet he gave her another script for 150 mg 5 times a day. The Pharmacy would not fill it because she wasn't due for another refill till the 16th of Jan.Thursday evening, she was on her way to my house, later I got a phone call from the State Hwy Patrol telling me that she had been involved in a car accident, she was breathing but he heard the paramedics say they thought her shoulder was broken and very good chance her hip as well. She went down a 35-40 foot embankment, rolled her car and ended up in a pond and if it weren't for a woman driving behind her, they never would have found her. Her clavicle is fractured and she is badly bruised and naturally, she is sore all over. The hospital gave her 20 Norco Thru. 1 tab Q 6 Hours PRN. as of today Sat. she has 6 tabs left and she took 26, 2mg
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: of Xanax since the 27th of Dec. she is here with me and I am taking care of her but I can not trust her along and I have to work. What can I do to get her the help she needs? ( I am a nurse) I would like to see her hospitalized against her will so she can't sign herself out and finally get her through detox and counseling. Any suggestions ?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Long-term use of Percosets and xanax
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 4 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1- Was the Dr. wrong in writing her another prescription knowing she is abusing the medications? 2- how can I find placement for her in a hospital. ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need some help NOW, I have to work and she can not be trusted to b e alone.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there? I have to get some sleep, I have to work in the morning and if I don't get an answer very soon, I will have to cancel this discussion.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sorry but I have to cancel and ask for a refund.